Welcome to 51EBde PA, website
History of the 51st Engineer Brigade, Phil Army
ORGANIZATION: On February 8, 1954, the 1st Engineer Construction Group (ECG) was organized and activated pursuant to General Orders No. 62, GHQ, AFP. It established its headquarters at an area in Libis, Quezon City alongside Marikina River in a place known as Santolan Barracks. On the late part of February 1954, the 510th Engineer Light Equipmen0t Company was administratively and operationally attached to 1ECG. With the AFP’s Revitalized Program, this Construction Group was reorganized on December 2, 1957 and redesignated as 511th Engineer Construction Group (511ECG).
The laudable performance of the 511th Engineer Construction Group impressed the national leadership that the AFP can very well undertake projects of the administration. Conceiving a plan to harmless the military in support to the implementation of the government’s socioeconomic program, the President of the Republic of the Philippines announced his concept and desire on the matter in a joint session of Congress in 1966. This paved way for the deactivation of the 511ECG and the 51st Engineer Brigade, Philippine Army was activated on 15 July 1966 pursuant to General Orders Number 12, GHQ, AFP dated 15 July 1966. Acknowledged as the Philippine Army’s pioneer engineer brigade and a reliable partner in socioeconomic development with the entire country as its area of coverage. In 1974, its jurisdiction was reduced to just Luzon and Visayas due to the activation of the 52nd Engineer Brigade covering the entire Mindanao. In 1985, its coverage area was further trimmed down to Luzon only due to the activation of the 53rd Engineer Brigade in the Visayas. Then in 1991, when the 54th Engineer Brigade was activated to handle Northern Luzon, the area of responsibility of the 51st Engineer Brigade was downsized to just Central Luzon; National Capital Region, Southern Tagalog and the Bicol region. However, in 2001, the 51st Engineer Brigade regained responsibility for the whole Luzon when the 54th Engineer Brigade was transferred to Mindanao. Finally, after the 54th Engineer Brigade was transferred back to northern Luzon area on 01 August 2008, the brigade area of operation was again reduced to National Capital Region and Southern Luzon area.
The evolution of the 51st Engineer Brigade, Philippine Army as a potent force for socio-economic development continuous generation by generation, and given recognition by its enormous yearly accomplishments worth million of pesos. With scarce resource, both manpower and equipment, one would marvel upon the brigade capability to undertake various projects not only the entire Philippine archipelago as its area of responsibility but also as contingent of United Nations when it participated as member of PHILCAG undertaking civic action projects in Vietnam. br />
Presently, the 51st Engineer Brigade has three (3) engineer construction battalion and one (1) maintenance battalion namely: 564th Engineer Construction Battalion, which was activated 1 November 1968 pursuant to General Orders Number 68, H51E dated 1 November 1968 and presently located in Camp Eldridge, Los Baņos, Laguna; the 565th Engineer Construction Battalion activated on 16 May 1985 by virtue of General Orders Number 17, H51E dated 16 May 1985, and stationed at Camp Wenee Martillana, Pili, Camarines Sur, the 514th Engineer Construction Battalion which was newly transferred back to the brigade on 01 August 2008 pursuant to general Orders Number 382, HPA dated 16 July 2008; and the Engineer Maintenance and Support Battalion (Provisional) which was activated pursuant to General Orders Numbers 174, H51E on 02 November 1988.
The Santolan Barracks which housed the Headquarters of the 51st Engineer Brigade was renamed Camp General Rigoberto J Atienza on 8 October 1979 pursuant to GO Nr 377, GHQ AFP dated 6 June 1979 in honor of the first Engineer Officer to served as AFP Chief of Staff and has served as a Second Lieutenant at the Old Santolan Barracks in Libis, quezon City. Co-located with the brigade headquarters in Camp Atienza is the Headquarters and Headquarters Company and the Engineer Maintenance and Support Battalion (Provisional)
SIGNIFICANT ACCOMPLISHMENTS click here