UP ROTC Los Baños UNIT
Organized military training in the University of the Philippines was introduced as early as 1912.
In 1916 military science was formally offered in the College of Agriculture at Los Baños wherein instructions were conducted informally with an officer of the Philippine Constabulary.
On October 10, 1917, UP cadets, male faculty and employees of the UP College of Agriculture and Forestry volunteered to join the Philippine National Guard for wartime service during the World War I in France. Marshalled at the campus, they trained at the railhead at College Junction and moved by train to Camp Claudio in Parañaque. This dramatic event, to this day, is faithfully observed as Loyalty Day every 10th day of October at the University of the Philippines at Los Baños.
On 02 November 1921, the Board of Regents of the University requested the U.S. War Department through the governor general for the services of a U.S. army officer as professor of military science and tactics.
On 17 March 1922 the Department of Military Science and Tactics (DMST) became one of the curricular departments of the university with support from the U.S. Army in terms of training equipment and arms.
On March 5, 1925, the UP Board of Regents in their 273rd meeting approved the granting of University Certificates to those students who have completed the ROTC advanced course, thus making these students alumni of the University even though they might not have yet finished their academic courses.
During the outbreak of World war II in 1941, the ROTC instruction was discontinued and resumed on 17 August 1946. Likewise, during the school year 1950-51, the ROTC training was suspended when the huk uprising was at its height.
In 1951, UPLB ROTC unit was placed under the 2nd military area of the Philippine Army from the Manila ROTC unit.
From then on, the unit became independent from the UP ROTC unit at Diliman, Quezon City and the senior commissioned officer assigned with the unit became commandant.
In 1952, with the leadership of Senator Macario Peralta Jr and support of Congressman Ferdinand Marcos, Congressman Salipada Pendatun, and Judge Advocate General Fred Ruiz Castro, the UP Vanguard was formally launched as the alumni association of UP ROTC Advanced Course graduates.
Starting the school year 1955-1956, the unit aside from the infantry as the main focus of training instruction was tasked to train cadets on artillery for the reserve force.
Also since the school year 1955-1956, the UP Los Baņos ROTC assumed an additional responsibility in training cadets from the then Laguna Institute, now the Laguna College of Business and Arts (LCBA) at Calamba, Laguna. This additional task continued until school year 1968-1969.
In 1963, Brig General Flaviano Olivarez organized the UP Los Baños chapter of the UP Vanguard, Inc., that become the mother chapter of all UPLB ROTC Advanced courses graduates.
On 01 May 1978, the Metropolitan Citizen Military Training Command (MCMTC) took over the administration of the UPLB ROTC unit from the HQ Phil Army. A year later, the control was given back to the army.
On 01 June 1982, the UPLB ROTC unit was again reassigned to MCMTC. On 14 March 1986, right after the February Revolution, the administration of the UPLB was absorbed by the 4th Regional Community Defense unit of the 2nd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army.
On 03 october 1991, the Laguna Community Defense Center took direct operational control of the UPLB ROTC unit.
In 1992, 4th RCDU was renamed 4th RCDG and LCDC was renamed 403 (LAG) CDC . The CDC assumed control and supervision over all ROTC units in the province of Laguna including the UPLB ROTC unit.