In 1896, the camp where ARESCOM is presently stationed at Tanza, Cavite was named after Gen Mariano Riego de Dios, who was among the first reservists to respond to the nation's call to arms during the American-Spanish War. In 1960, the camp become the AFP's food production center until 1976 when it was turn over to the National Irrigation Administration (NIA). In 1994, the 4th Regional Command (RESCOM) PA occupied the camp when Headquarters moved fro Fort Bonifacio to Camp Riego de Dios.
ARESCOM has a long and colorful history dating back in the early days. But the first recorded organized utilization of the citizen's army was when the Spanish colonizers under Magellan were repelled by Lapu-lapu with his citizens army in 1521. In 1935, the National Defense Act was enacted mandating all able-bodied Filipino citizens to protect the country. In 1977, the provisional Reserve Command was activated pursuant to GO nr 250 HPA dated 01 September 1977.
As an offshoot of the EDSA Revolution when the AFP was re-organized, the provisional RESCOM was de-activated. In 1991 marked the re-birth of the Citizens Armed Forces through the enactment of RA 7077 known as the National Reservist Act. On 01 July 1992, pursuant to GO Nr 392 HPA dated 12 May 1992, the Reserve Command was re-activated as an approach to the enhancement of national security and development. It was also renamed as the present Army Reserve Command in 01 October 1999 pursuant to GO Nr 1300, HPA and was given the mission to develop, organize, train, equip and administer competent, mobilizeable reserve force as an integral component of the total army in defense of the state and to participate in socio-economic development.